Country: United States Region: Montana
Locale: 48°56′32″N 112°48′21″W
Latitude: 48° 56' 31" N Longitude: -113° 11' 38" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
Former AFS Cut Bank (1952-1966). 681st Aircraft Control and Warning (AC&W) Squadron, Air Defense Command operating
- AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-4 radars in 1952.
Initially a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station with the tacticall: Cylinder.
As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft towards unidentified intruders picked by the unit's radars.
In 1958 an AN/FPS-20 search radar replaced the AN/FPS-3 at this site.
In the following year two AN/FPS-6B height-finder radars superseded the AN/FPS-4.
1961 this site was integrated into the SAGE system and redesignated as 681st Radar Sqn (SAGE) with tacticall: Sausage providing information 24/7 to the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile.
In 1962 the AN/FPS-20A was further upgraded and redesignated as an AN/FPS-66.
In 1963 one AN/FPS-6B was removed and the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-24.
In 1964 the other AN/FPS-6B was upgraded to an AN/FPS-90 and an AN/FPS-26A height-finder radar was installed.
1966 the site was deactivated.
Search for 9. AFS Cut Bank