Country: United States Region: Oregon
Latitude: 45° 12' 54" N Longitude: -124° 14' 34" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
AFS Mount Hebo, Oregon (tacticall: Creature 1956-1979) was a vital part in the USAF Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) computer supported system for air defense. Available electronic equipment was able to support the detection, identification and destruction of enemy aircraft. This was done by communications between the SAGE computers at Adair Air Force Station in Oregon and McChord Air Force Base in Washington, the radar and communications systems at Mount Hebo and interceptor aircraft. Primary radar systems included the FPS-24 search radar and the FPS-26A and FPS-90 height finder radars. The FPS-26A was modified between 1967 and 1970 into the FSS-7 Sea launched ballistic Missile (SLBM) sensor and tracking radar. When the third FPS-24 radome was destroyed by extreme weather in 1968, the FPS-24 was replaced by an FPS-27 search radar with a smaller radar antenna and radome. Connectivity to the SAGE system was through the FST-2B. Ground to air radio communications were provided through the GKA-5 digital data link and analog UHF radios. These radios were the single channel GRT-3 transmitter and GRR-7 receiver. The GRC-27 provided multi-channel transmit and receive capabilities. The largest building on the radar site was the 64-foot-square, 85-foot-tall FPS-24 radar tower. Mount Hebo was home of the 689th Radar Squadron but later, Detachment 2 of the 14th Missile Warning Squadron was activated at Mount Hebo to operate a missile-warning radar. In 1983 the site was closed.
Search for AFS Mt Hebo