Country: United States Region: Oregon
Locale: 43°32′00″N 124°10′35″W
Latitude: 43° 31' 59" N Longitude: -125° 49' 26" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
AFS North Bend (tacticall Goodbook). 761st Aircraft Control and Warning Sqn was activated at Reedsport, Oregon, in 1951 with AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-4. With site P-12's activation, the temporary "lashup" site L-33 at Portland shut down. The site was redesignated as North Bend AFS in 1953 and functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.
In 1955 an AN/FPS-8 was installed. The radar subsequently was converted into an AN/GPS-3, and removed in 1956. In 1957 an AN/FPS-6 took over height-finder duties. An AN/FPS-6B was added in 1959. This site began operating an AN/FPS-7 search radar in 1960 as AFS North Bend joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system. Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information. In 1979 North Bend came under Tactical Air Command (TAC) jurisdiction with the inactivation of Aerospace Defense Command and the creation of ADTAC. The 761st Radar Sqn (SAGE) was deactivated 11 February 1980.
Search for 9. AFS North Bend