Country: United States Region: California
Latitude: 34° 53' 59" N Longitude: -118° 7' 1" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
USAF Edwards http://www.edwards.af.mil/ Calif. is operated and maintained by the 95th Air Base Wing under Materiel Command.
The base used to be former Muroc army airfield, renamed 1949 in memory of USAF test pilot Glen Edwards who died testing the Northrop YB-49 flying wing.
- 412th Test Wing and subordinated units http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/412th_Test_Wing.png 412 TW plans, conducts, analyzes and reports on all flight and ground testing of aircraft, weapons systems, software and components as well as modeling and simulation for the USAF.
- 412 EW Grp with 772 Test Sq operates and maintains test facilities and capabilities for a wide spectrum of electronic warfare (EW) and information operations (IO) systems.
- the USAF Test Pilot School learning top pilots, navigators and engineers lhow to conduct flight tests and generate the data needed to carry out test missions
- NASA Dryden Flight Research Center http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/home/index.html Its Engineering Division and Electronic Warfare Division provide the central components in the conduct of the Test and Evaluation mission.
- USN VX-9 detachment. the Naval Air Test and Evaluation Squadron NINE Detachment Edwards is currently testing the new F-35C Lightning II VSTOL naval version.
Note: Edwards airbase also has a remote detachment: SEE 6.USAF Groom Lake - Nevada.
Search for 6.USAF Materiel Cmd - Edwards airbase