Country: Belgium Region: prov de Henoit
Latitude: 50° 34' 0" N Longitude: 3° 49' 59" E
Area use / Military Branches: Active
SHAPE /Chievres (EBCV) part of US Army Garrison Benelux
US Army/ USAF support base for NATO's Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe or SHAPE
- 39th Strategic Signal Battalion (under 2d Theater Signal Brigade, Wiesbaden, Germany) Building, operating, extending Network Capabilities throughout the BENELUX, UK, France and Northern Germany in order to enable Mission Command for Army, Joint, Interagency, Intergovernmental and Multinational Forces.
-1946-1949. USAF depot for the Mutual Defence Aid Programme. .
- 1947. Handed over to Belgian air force.
- 1950. Activation of 7 dayfighter wing with gloster Meteor T7 and F8.
- 1956. Conversion to Hunter F.4.
- 1958. Operational on Hunter F.6.
- 1963. Activation of Low visibility flight school (escadrille Vol Sans Visibilité).
- 1967. VSV flight school moved to Brustem.
- 1968. Base transferred tp NATO/SHAPE
USAG Benelux http://home.army.mil/benelux/index.php
Hawker hunter http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/fhunter.aspx
Search for AIR Chièvres