Country: Germany Region: Bav
Latitude: 50° 19' 4" N Longitude: 11° 52' 32" E
Area use / Military Branches: Aktiv
Hof, grid 50°19'4"N 11°52'33"E. Interception site and 2nd nearby location at grid 50°19'24"N 11°51'46"E
Hof was a US SIGINT station 1955-1971, started by USAF Security Service (USAFSS) intercept personnel from 12th Radio Sq Mobile. Hof became the largest and most important US electronic intelligence (ELINT) intercept site in the world as it was located at the junction of the then W-German, E-German and Czech borders. SIGINT operators monitored every Soviet and Warsaw Pact radar operating inside former E-Germany and Czechoslovakia. In the 1960s USAFSS engineers constructed a then sophisticated computer-controlled ELINT collection system called AN/GLR-1 later redesigned AN/FLR-12, at the above mentioned 2nd location.
During the Vietnam war there were large budget cuts for the National Security Agency (NSA) and SIGINT components of the US forces. In 1970, the ELINT facilities at Hof were handed over to the W-German military. USAFSS unit at Hof, 6915th Security Group, deactivated 1971 and Hof Air Station was turned over to the German authorities.
Currently the BND Hof station "Pferdestall" is still ops and doing the same thing that the US did during the Cold War. The USSR is gone and the Cold War is over, but the GE Bundes Nachrichten Dienst - operating the station - continued to modernize and expand it. Given its location, the only possible targets for the intercept operators is the German people itself and the military of the Czech Republic, now a NATO member and a German trading partner...
Former Kingsley Barracks (later Camp Hof) at grid 50°19'1"N 11°53'30"E was Hq 2d Sqd, 11th Armored Cav Regt responsible for patrolling 144 km of the East/West border. Int units rotated to their Operational bases for 2 to 4 weeks of borderpatrol duty. The entire section had to be patrolled at least every 72 hours.
Search for BND Hof