Latitude: 36° 22' 48" N Longitude: 28° 8' 35" E
Area use / Military Branches: SA-8 garrison
Ródos SA-8 (NATO code Gecko) AD garrison; providing aircover for the nearby airfields in case of emergencies.
SA-8 is a highly mobile, low-altitude, short-range tactical surface-to-air missile system. All versions feature all-in-one 9A33 transporter erector launcher and radar(TELAR) vehicles which can detect, track and engage aircraft independently or with the aid of regimental surveillance radars.
The missile air defense of the Hellenic Armed Forces is composed of
- MIM-104 Patriot PAC3 missile system 6 Batterries / 36 launchers / 325 missiles http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Patriot_missile_launch_b.jpg installed near Athens, Thessaloniki and on the island of Skyros
- S-300 PMU1 missile system based at Crete and consisting of 1 Battalion /4 batteries /16 launchers / 80 missiles http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/S-300_-_2009_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_%283%29.jpg
- 9 Crotale Nouvelle Generation missile systems http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Crotale_NG_P1220851.jpg
- Skyguard/VELOS combined SHORAD system:(1Giraffe radar; 2Skyguard rardars; 4 guns and 4 launchers) 20 launchers / 280 missiles / 24 Oerlikon-35 Guns for airbase defense.
- 54 vehicle-mounted ASRAD-HELLAS systems. A modular missile system featuring high firepower for day and night ops. The ASRAD-HELLAS system carries 4 Stinger missiles and holds 4 missiles ready for reload.
- 300 FIM- 92 Stinger MANPAD missiles http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Stinger_weapon_system.png
- 506 ZU-23mm lightweight, automatic, towed antiaircraft guns taken over from former East German army http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/20_mm_anti-aircraft_gun_of_the_Bundeswehr.JPEG
- 285 Rheinmetall Mk 20 RH-202 Artemis 30 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Artemis_30.jpg to protect all branches of the Armed Forces from medium and low level attack aircraft.
- 42 MIM-23B Improved HAWK - Phase III PIP missile systems
- 21 TOR M1 (or SA-15 Gauntlet) tracked medrange missile systems. Under command of 182-tor brigade based in Kommotini http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Tor-M1_SAM_%282%29.jpg
- 38 SA-8 Gecko (or 9M33 Osa) shorad missile systems. All batteries based on the eastern aegean islands and under the ASDEN command
-2 Crotale Nouvelle Generation (Naval) missile systems http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Tourville-crotale.jpg
Search for MD Ródos