Country: United Kingdom Region: Lincolnshire
Latitude: 53° 29' 53" N Longitude: 0° 4' 0" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
Former (WW1) RAF North Coates airfield. Closed 1918 and reopened again 1939 as a Coastal Command base operating Blenheims, Hudsons and Beaufighters.It closed in 1947 and was placed on care and maintenance.
Between 1954 and 1956, 54 MU were stationed at the camp, which reopened in 1963 becoming Britains first Bloodhound SAM site.
It was used as a base of 264 AD Sqn operating Bristol Bloodhound missiles (1958 - 1963).
The site was closed in 1990 and sold to The Welbeck Estate Group/Wessex and Cambrian. Over the following 5 years various sections of the airfield and buildings were sold. It is now a flying club.
The former Bloodhound dispersals don't exist anymore but on old airpictures all missilesites are still very good visible.
Search for SAM / RAF North Coates