Country: United States Region: Nw Mexico
Locale: S of Albuquerque
Latitude: 35° 2' 30" N Longitude: -107° 24' 39" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
Kirtland airbase, Albuquerque, Nw Mexicico http://www.kirtland.af.mil/ is an airbase under Global Strike Command
Activated 1929. During WW2 a bomber training base, becoming an aircraft storage depot 1945-1947.
As of 1948 renamed Sandia base becoming USAF's main facility for integrating new weapons designs produced by Sandia Laboratory with operational USAF aircraft and equipment. Later providing flight services for the Manhattan [Engineering] District at Sandia and Los Alamos in atomic bomb testing. Becoming Kirtland AFB with the then new B-36 Peacemakers. Later the base became the aircraft atomic weapons modification center.
As of 1949 under the newly created Air Force Special Weapons Cmd testing and storing atomic and hydrogen free fall bombs.
Note the former nuc WSA at grid 35°0'18"N 106°29'51"W (a.k.a. Manzano base or site Able) constructed after WW2 and consisting of 4 plants inside Manzano Mountain (used primarily for research activities) and 122 magazines (81 earth covered and 41 inside the mountain. Manzano base was ops 1952 -1992 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpELlk2X_o
Currently Kirtland is the largest installation in Air Force Global Strike Command and home to:
- AFGSC / 20th Air Force / 377 Airbase WIng (host element)
- AFMC / Hq Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center and Air Force Research Laboratory
- AETC / 19th Air Force / 58 Spec Ops Wing and Pararescue and Combat Rescue Officer Training School
- ACC / US Air Force Warfare Center and 505th Command and Control Wing
- Hq Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (a direct reporting unit -DRU)
- NM ANG / 150 Spec Ops WIng
- USSF / Space & Missile Systems Center
- Department of the Air Force / AF Inspection Agency and AF Safety Center
- Missile Defence Agency / Sensor & Laser Technology Program Office
- DTRA / Nuclear Weapons School
- ARMY / AFC / 20 CBRNE Command
Search for 00. AIR / AFGSC / Kirtland airbase ☢