Kirtland airbase, Albuquerque, Nw Mexicico.is an airbase which is under Global Strike Command
Activated 1929. During WW2 a bomber training base, becoming an aircraft storage depot 1945-1947. As of 1948 renamed Sandia base becoming USAF's main facility for integrating new weapons designs produced by Sandia Laboratory with operational USAF aircraft and equipment. Later providing flight services for the Manhattan [Engineering] District at Sandia and Los Alamos in atomic bomb testing and becoming Kirtland AFB. With the new B-36 Peacemaker the base became the aircraft atomic weapons modification center. As of 1949 under the newly created Air Force Special Weapons Cmd testing and storing atomic and hydrogen free fall bombs.
Note the former nuc WSA at grid 35°0'18"N 106°29'51"W which was former Manzano base or site Able. Constructed after WW2 and consisting of 4 plants inside Manzano Mountain (used primarily for research activities) and 122 magazines, of which 81 earth covered and 41 tunneled into the mountainside. Manzano base was ops 1952 -1992 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpELlk2X_o
The largest installation in Air Force Global Strike Command and home to
- 377th Air Base Wing (ABW) as hosting element
- Air Force Materiel Command's Nuclear Weapons Center (NWC) responsible for acquisition, modernization and sustainment of nuclear system programs for both the Department of Defense and Department of Energy. NWC is composed of 2 wings–the 377th Air Base Wing and 498th Nuclear Systems Wing–along with 10 groups and 7 squadrons.
In 1992, Kirtland Underground Munitions Storage Complex (KUMSC) activated. This is probably the largest storage facility for nuclear weapons in the world and is also providing storage, shipping and maintenance. KUMSC is located entirely underground with an estimated number of deliverable nuclear warheads of 3,000+. (the majority of the munitions includes B83 and B61 gravity bombs and W80, W87and W88 missile warheads). KUMSC is being operated by 898th Munitions Sq and 377th Security Forces Sq.
- Air Force Operational Test & Eval Center
- Air Force Safety Center
- Air Force Distributed Mission Operations Center
- Joint Navigation Warfare Center
- 58th Spec Ops Wing http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/58th_Special_Operations_Wing.jpg
trains personnel, professionalize airmen and employ airpower
- (ANG)150th Spec Ops Wing, New Mexico integrating into 58th SOW
- 21st Ordnance Co Provides EOD support to defeat or mitigate the effects of Weapons of Mass Destruction directed against the US
- AFRL Directed Energy Directorate
- AFRL Space Vehicles Directorate
- Air Force Inspection Agency
- Advanced Systems & Development Directorate