Country: United States Region: Nw Mexico
Locale: S of Albuquerque
Latitude: 35° 2' 30" N Longitude: -107° 24' 39" E
Area use / Military Branches: Active
USAF Kirtland http://www.kirtland.af.mil/ is under Materiel Command with 377th Air Base Wing (ABW) as hosting element. It is the homebase of these units:
- USAF Nuclear Weapons Center (NWC), the center of expertise for all nuclear weapon systems.
In 1992, Kirtland Underground Munitions Storage Complex (KUMSC) activated.
This is probably the largest storage facility for nuclear weapons in the world and is also providing storage, shipping and maintenance.
KUMSC is located entirely underground with an estimated number of deliverable nuclear warheads of 3,000+. (the majority of the munitions includes B83 and B61 gravity bombs and W80, W87and W88 missile warheads). KUMSC is being operated by 898th Munitions Sq and 377th Security Forces Sq.
- Air Force Operational Test & Eval Center
- Air Force Safety Center
- Air Force Distributed Mission Operations Center
- Joint Navigation Warfare Center
- 58th Spec Ops Wing
- ANG150th Spec Ops Wing, New Mexico
- 21st Ordnance Co
- AFRL Directed Energy Directorate
- AFRL Space Vehicles Directorate
- Air Force Inspection Agency
- Advanced Systems & Development Directorate
Note the former nuc WSA at grid 35°0'18"N 106°29'51"W
This was former Manzano base or site Able. Constructed after WW2 and consisting of 4 plants inside Manzano Mountain (used primarily for research activities) and 122 magazines, of which 81 earth covered and 41 tunneled into the mountainside. Manzano base was ops 1952 -1992
Search for USAF-MC Kirtland