Country: United States Region: Nevada
Locale: Las Vegas
Latitude: 36° 15' 15" N Longitude: -115° 1' 51" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
36°14'12"N 115° 2'34"W Nellis airbase complex, Nevada http://www.nellis.af.mil/
Established 1925 and reconstructed in 1940 as Las Vegas Army Airfield, a base for bombing and gunnery. Renamed Las Vegas AFB in 1948 operating a gunnery school. Renamed Nelis AIrbase in the early 1950's and operating as a fighter/bomber training base. Over to Tactical Air Cmd in 1958. Currently the Nellis complex is under Air Combat Cmd jurisdiction.
- 99 Airbase Wing is the host wing providing support for Nellis and Creech airbases with a Mission Support and a Medical Group.
- ACC / USAF Warfare Center with 99th Air Base Wing, 53 and 57 Wings, 505th Command and Control Wing, Nevada Test and Training Range
- Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) - former 98th Range Wing - is a major range testfacility
- Nellis Medical Center
- 57 Wing is consisting of USAF Weapons School, 57 Maintenance.and Operations Groups ; the USAF Aerobatics Squadron (Thunderbirds) and the USAF Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School (AMMOS).
- AFRC 926 Wing with 926 Operations Group
- 365 Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group
- 505 Combat Training Group
- 53 Test and Evaluation Group
- 563 Rescue Group, Operating Location-Alpha (OL-A)
- 66 Rescue Squadron
- 820 REDHORSE Squadron
- CAOC Nellis. Tasking: Provides C-2 training to the US Military and coalition partners. Operated by 505th Command and Control Wing.
- DoD / US STRATCOM with Global Operations (J3) Directorate and Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness Grp for Advanced Combat
- Nellis Area 2 at grid 36°15'11"N 114°58'14"W is one of the largest active nuclear weapon storages in the US. Activated 1955 as a separate unit a.k.a. Lake Mead Base. It is supervised by 896th MUNitions Sq and secured by 554th Special Security Squadron which is controlling all entry, exit and movement within and around the WSA ensuring security aspects of air and ground logistical movements. An estimated 775 nuc gravity bombs and appx 600 W80's (part of the surplus air-launched cruise missile warheads) seemed to be stored at this location.
http://ranger95.com/airforce/munitions_sq/896th_muns.html (dead link)
Search for 2. AIR / ACC / Nellis airbase complex