Country: Japan Region: Okinawa
Latitude: 26° 11' 39" N Longitude: 127° 38' 34" E
Area use / Military Branches: Active
Naha airbase http://www.mod.go.jp/asdf/naha/ is the military part of Naha airport http://www.naha-airport.co.jp/ OKinawa.
It is the onlly Main Operating Base in the SW-Area hosting Airforce as wel as Naval and Army Aviation units
- Southwest Composite Air Div.
- 83 Air WIng; 204 Sqn (F-15J/DJ, T-4)
- Southwest Aircraft Control & Warning Grp
- 5 Air Defence Missile Grp Hq
- 5th Air Def Msl Grp (Patriot PAC2) Firing Unit 17 at grid 26° 11' 40" N 127° 38' 31" E
PATRIOT system was initially a surface-to-air guided missile system to counter airborne threats. Japan introduced thesystem in 1989
PATRIOT PAC-2(UG), developed after the Gulf War,had limited capability to intercept ballistic missiles. Japan introduced PAC-2(UG) system in 1996
PATRIOT PAC-3 system has enhanced capability to intercept ballistic missiles and is designed to intercept SRBM and MRBM in the terminal phase of a ballistic missile at 10+km altitude.
A Patriot Fire Unit protects an area of several tens of kms in radius. It is mobile and deployed according to the situation.
It consists of an Engagement Control Station, a Radar Set, an Antenna Mast Group, a Power Plant and 5 launchers with 4 missiles per launcher
- GRND 15 Bde / 15th Aviation Sq, flying UH-60JA and CH-47J/JA helicopters and LR-2 airplanes
- Fleet AIr Wing 5
-- Patrol Sq 5 (2 flights P-3C Orion)
-- Maintenance and Supply Sq 5
-- Air Station Naha base ops
GRND Units:at grid 26°15'25"N 127°41'48"E
- 15th Brigade HQ http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/JGSDF_15th_Brigade.svg
- 51st Infantry Regiment
- 15th Reconnaissance Company
- 15th Combat Engineer Company,
- 15th Signal Company,
- 15th NBC-defense Company,
- 101st Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company,
- 15th Logistic Support Battalion,
Dislocated GRND units:
- 15th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment, (Yaese)
Search for AIR SW-Area Naha