Country: Australia Region: QLD
Latitude: 15° 56' 4" S Longitude: 15° 46' 36" E
Area use / Military Branches: Naval base
HMAS Cairns, one of the Australian Navy seaports.
Recently upgraded and homebase for Pacific Class Patrol Boats, other vessels and various supporting units and also hosting army units.
- Base Command Element
- Fleet Logistic Support Element - Cairns
- Fleet Suppt Unit - Cairns
- Laser Airborne Depth Sounding Flight
- Defence Comms Station - Cairns
- Patrol Boat Systems Program Office
- Amphibious and Afloat Support Systems Program Office
- Hydrographic Systems Program Office
- Sea Training Group (Minor War Vessels
- 51st Battalion, Far North Queensland Regt (51 FNQR) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/FNQR_cap_badge.gif A light infantry battalion of the Australian Army with many aboriginal personnel. Unit serving as a Regional Force Surveillance Unit (RFSU), carrying out recon and surveillance tasks as primary role. Every operator in the unit is cross-trained in a variety of "low-visibility" skills such as weapons, survival, sniping, medic, small boat handling, driving, tracking, air ops etc.51 FNQR is made up of full-time and part-time members with battalion HQ and a surveillance coy in Cairns.
Surveillance companies are dispersed throughout Far North Queensland at Weipa, Thursday Island and Mount Isa.
51 FNQR came under 2nd Div command as of 2014.
Search for Navy Cairns