Country: Germany Region: Trier
Latitude: 49° 42' 23" N Longitude: 6° 38' 18" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
Former NATO J-type nuc storage Trier for French 2nd Corps 1st Armored Div; 68th Artillery Regt.(Honest John) 1962-1968. Security: 6th US Missile Det. Barracks: Bldg #2, Quartier Belvédère.
In 1965 stationed at Trier (Landau) and renamed 68ème Régiment d'Artillerie Lourde Divisionnaire (68th Divisional Heavy Arty Regt) composed of 12 batteries and 2 nuclear Honest John batteries. (12 btry was for instruction). In 1970 reassigned to France (Phalsbourg).
The French had 5 operational HJ groups; 3 at Corps level and 2 at Division level.
- 301°Grp Arty http://pmcdn.priceminister.com/photo/insigne-pucelle-armee-de-terre-301-groupe-d-artillerie-signe-drago-paris-991437040_ML.jpg activated 1959 at Rastatt and relocated 1960 to Villingen. Transformed to 50° Arty Regt and dissolved 1976
- 302°GA established 1959 at Rastatt. Transformed to 60° RA and relocated to Friedrichshafen 1970, dissolved 1975.
- 303°Groupe d'Artillerie de Marine established 1960 at Saarburg, relocated to Saarlouis 1960 and to Caen-Carpiquet 1968, became 3° RA 1970 and ended HJ ops 1973
- 3/32HJ (32°RALD) http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjk2/z/bv4AAOxy2d9SW7HU/$T2eC16F,!zkFJDJpEl6eBSW7HUU)WQ~~60_35.JPG estabished 1962 at Donaueschingen and in 1966 over to Stetten; dissolved 1974.
- 3/68HJ (68°RALD) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Insigne_du_68%C2%B0_R%C3%A9giment_d%E2%80%99Artillerie.jpg/280px-Insigne_du_68%C2%B0_R%C3%A9giment_d%E2%80%99Artillerie.jpg established at Trier 1960 and dissolved 1973
Perimeter security was provided by:
- 351°GA http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mHD6uGIQpoUVjVWABI5ESow.jpg stablished 1962 at Landau; relocated to Horb 1970 and reassigned 351°RA; dissolved 1975.
Tech Maintenance was provided by:.
- 1° Compagnie Légère de Réparation du Matériel (Trier)
- 501° Compagnie Renforcée de Réparation du Matériel (Trier) and
- 401°CRRM at Offenburg all until 1973.
Organisation of the 5 French HJ groups:
2 ops batteries and 1 command/suppt btry
The ops batteries comprised:
2 launcher sections (crew 1 officer; 1 WO; 3 enlisted per section)
1 technical section
1 topographical section
1 comms section
Search for USAr Trier