Latitude: 38° 11' 47" N Longitude: 23° 30' 33" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
Former central nuclear storage under US Army 558th USArmy Artillery Group / 138th Ordnance Company
In November 1960 558th arrived in Athens, Greece and was further assigned to Special Ammunition Support Command until October 1972 as the Group was relieved of its SASCOM assignment and assigned to the Southern European Task Force (SETAF) until 1989.
From 1960-1989 558th USAAG operated 9 storage sites providing custodial support to nuclear-capable artillery and Nike Hercules air defense units. In those years a total of 164 nuclear warheads were stored in Greece. These sites were a responsibility of:
- 138th Ord Co (GS); the central storage at Elefsis
- 18th USAFAD; Honest John warheads at Argyroupolis
- 19th USAFAD, Honest John warheads at Perivolaki
- 70th USAFAD; 8 inch howitzer nuc grenades at Yiannitsa
- 88th USAFAD; Honest John warheads at Drama
- 37th USAAD; Nike Herc. warheads at Keratea
- 76th USAAD; Nike Herc. warheads at Koropi
- 78th USAAD; Nike Herc warheads at Katsimidhi
- 79th USAAD; Nike Herc warheads at Erithea
These sites have been emptied and deactivated at the beginning of operation "Silent Echo" in 1990 when most nuc weapons were withdrawn to the US.
- 7061st MUNitons Support Sq however was under USAFE command and provided custodial support for 24 nuc bombs (1961-2000) for the HAF 116th FW (SEE: AIR Araxos). This unit deactivated in 2000 and the remaining "specials" were also withdrawn from Greece due to general security reasons.
Search for US Army Elefsis