Country: India Region: Andhra Pradesh
Latitude: 17° 43' 16" N Longitude: 83° 13' 28" E
Area use / Military Branches: NAS
Vishakhapatnam a.k.a. Vizag airfield a.k.a. INS Dega; ICAO: VEVZ.
A combined mil/civ airfield under command of the Indian Navy.Visakhapatnam was constructed in the late 1970s, with 4 helipads adjacent to the civil airfield. The airport at Visakhapatnam was transferred from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation in 1986. The air station was then called Naval Air Station, Visakhapatnam. Additional hangars, maintenance facilities and an operations complex were constructed soon after. In 1991, the air station was renamed and formally commisioned INS Dega (kite).
The base hosts:
- fighter training sq with BAE Hawk AJT aircraft
- reconnaissance sq operating Dornier Do 228 aircraft
- SAR sq operating HAL Chetak helicopters
- ASW sq operating Kamov Ka-28 helicopters
- logistics and transport sq operating Sikorsky UH-3 Seaking helicopters
Search for INS AIR Dega