Latitude: 37° 52' 54" N Longitude: 23° 44' 8" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
37°52'54"N 23°44'9"E Former USAF Hellenikon airbase was reconstructed after WW2 and in 1948 reopened.
United States Air Forces in Europe 7206th Air Base Squadron (later Group) was assigned to the airport in 1954. Commercial airline service returned in 1956 with the airport being turned over to Greek civil aviation authorities.
The airport was renamed Athenai International Airport, and the USAF used a part for military and States diplomatic air traffic.
USAF part of the base renamed Hellenikon airbase in 1975
- USAF 7206th Airbase Group primary USAF host unit
- USAF 6916th Security Squadron (electronic aerial surveillance)
- 2140 Gommunications Grp. provided continuous ops and maintenance of designed ground communications-electronics systems and facilities in support of command & control and other communications serving all US forces within Greece and provided the DCS terrestrial communications link to Turkey. Included were the USEUCOM command control CEMETERY high frequency and STRAIGHT TALK satellite networks; the USAFE INFORM command & control HF network; and the AUTOVON switching center serving Greece and Turkey
- US Army 16th EOD
All deactivated as base closed at the end of the Cold War in 1993
Search for USAF Hellenikon