Country: Germany Region: Hessen
Locale: Münster Dieburg
Latitude: 49° 55' 57" N Longitude: 8° 48' 40" E
Area use / Military Branches: Closed
Originally a German WW2 ammo storage but in 1945 taken over by US Army and maintained as a conventional ammodump until 1958. In 1959 converted into a C-type special ammo storage. In the early months of 1959, the Honest John rocket system and first nuc whds began arriving. As a result, 545th Ordnance Company activated at the depot to maintain the weapons system. The facility became known as NATO Site 111 storing nuc 8 inch grenades, HJ rockets and its nuc warheads for 41 Field Arty Grp (later on Bde) followed by replacing Nike and Lance nuc warheads for V Corps.
There have been rumors about tunnels connecting NATO 111 to other facilities in the area. In the near vincinity is another conventional PSP 4J type ammo storage but according to 545 Ord Co personnel tunnels were non-existing. in the 1990s several German attempts were made to find any evidence for a subterrenean complex but without any result.
Former site supervision and site security:
-15th (1960-1972) and 72nd Ordnance Battallions (1973-1992)
15th Ord Bat (ammo) deactivated in 1972 under control of the 59th Ordnance Brigade and reassigned 72nd Ord until 1992
- 545th Ord Co (Special Ammo Direct Support 1959-1983)
In 1959 the 545th activated in Munster-D, Germany from what had been Company C, 15th Ord Bn. The 545th was assigned to 15th Ord Bn. In 1977, 545th Ord Co reassigned to 72nd Ord Bn and inactivated in 1992.
Security required that a section of the 545th, known as the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Security Unit, assumed all physical security responsibility for the site. The EOD unit was initially staffed with Infantry, Ordnance and eventually some MP personnel.
- 9th MP Det (Physical Security) and 51st MP Det (1960-1977)
The expansions and renovations at Munster D throughout the 1960's created need for additional security personnel. As a result, in 1969, both 9th and 51st MP Detachments were assigned to the Munster depot boosting up the security force at the expanding depot.
- 6th MP Company (1977-1992) http://www.towerrat.com/index.php
6th Military Police Company reactivated for service in Europe during the later years of the Cold War. The unit was created at the Munster-Dieburg Special Weapons Depot in 1977, the result of incorporating several security detachments into a company size organization. The process took several months and included combining on-site security guards as well as absorption of old 9 and 51 MP Dets that had been assigned to the site since 1960. Primary mission of 6th MP Co remained the security of the weapons depot. In addition, they provided the securityforce during the spec ammo relocation either by truck convoy or helicopter transport. However, changes in operations occurred soon after 6th was established at Munster. 6th got a diversity of work assignments. They field trained with V Corps several times a year an during many of these maneuvers, the unit was required to establish a field weapons depot. Military Working Dog teams were introduced within the 6th during 1977.
In the 1980's, MP's of the 6th were allowed to assist with white hat law enforcement patrol for the Provost Marshals Office in Kaiserslautern during the offduty hours. This arrangement lasted for only a short time and was designed to crosstrain personnel.
INF Treaty requiring the removal of tactical nuclear weapons from Europe resulted in the eventual abandonment of the depot. The last nukes departed the site during 'Operation Silent Echo" by air in 1991. Staff Sergeant Brian Grossman was aboard the final Chinook helicopter. By that time, most of the personnel of both 6th MP Co and 545th Ordnance Co had been reassigned and the units were preparing to inactivate. Skeleton sections remaining on-site maintained property and performed admin functions. 6th MP Co and the 545th Ord Co inactivated at Munster-Dieburg in 1992. With empty bunkers, tower doors welded shut and gates to the property locked the site was turned over to German authorities in 1994.
Search for USAr Münster-Dieburg