Restricted Areas
Edit

AFS Red Bluff

Last modified: 08 Aug 2011
Edit

Country: United States    Region: California

Locale: Near Jacksonville

Latitude: 40° 8' 45" N     Longitude: -123° 41' 45" E

Area use / Military Branches: Closed

Edit

Former AFS Red Bluff (tacticall Antidote). Ops in 1956 when the 859th Aircraft Control and Warning Sqn was moved to the new station by the 28th Air Division. Initially Red Bluff used AN/MPS-8 and AN/MPS-11 radars, and functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. The AN/MPS-11 remained until 1963. In 1959 USAF placed AN/FPS-6 and -6A height-finder radars and removed the AN/MPS-8 from Red Bluff. During 1960 Red Bluff AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system.In 1964 Red Bluff became a joint-use facility with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), using the AN/FPS-67 search and AN/FPS-6 and AN/FPS-90 height-finder radars located on site.859th was deactivated 1970 and the station was closed due to budget restraints. 8.1 acres were turned over to the FAA in 1971




Search for AFS Red Bluff

Your Message

Name *
Email
Title*
Message*
(Plain Text Only)
Link

Security Code*


Please insert the security code.

* Required Fields
   

Top         Home