Country: United Kingdom Region: Scotland
Latitude: 57° 42' 0" N Longitude: -4° 40' 0" E
Area use / Military Branches: Active
RAF Lossiemouth activated 1939, a bomberbase in 1940 and after WW2 a reservebase for RAF Milltown in Coastal Cmd. Transferred to Royal Navy 1946 for Fleet Air Arm ops. Transferred back to RAF in 1972.
Aircraft deployed in various roles SAR, AEW, operational conversion unit, tactical weapons unit and strike/attack operating:
- Red Beard Mk.2 (10x): Scimitar, 1962 - 1963
- Red Beard Mk.2 (26x): Buccaneer S.1, 1963 -1966 http://www.afwing.com/intro/Buccaneer/redbeard.jpg
- Red Beard Mk.2 (26x): Buccaneer S.2, 1966 - 1972
- WE.177A(N) (10x): Buccaneer S.2/Ark, 1970 - 1972
- WE.177A(N): (10x) Buccaneer S.2B(RAF), 1980 -1984
- WE.177A(N) (20x): Tornado GR.1B, 1993- 1998 (to non-nuclear Strike).
Ground-based units included air and ground defence, damage repair and support roles.
Current: Hi-readiness airdefence base operating Tornado GR4 and Eurofighter Typhoon provifing QRA (interception) for the UK.
- Tornado GR4 Operational Conversion Unit,
- XV (Reserve) Squadron training all Pilots and Weapons Systems Operators on Tornado GR4.
- 6 Squadron (Interception)
- 1 (Fighter) Squadron
- II(Army Co-operation) Squadron
- No 5 Force Protection Wing of the RAF Regiment,
--51 Squadron RAF Regiment,
--2622 Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment
Panavia Tornado AD http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/ftornadoadv.aspx
Panavia Tornado IDS http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/ftornids.aspx
Westland Seaking http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/hseaking.aspx
Search for RAF Lossiemouth