Latitude: 13° 57' 18" N Longitude: 109° 2' 31" E
Area use / Military Branches: Former USAF base
Former Phu Cat airbase grid 13°57′18″N 109°02′32″E.
The base was constructed by the US in 1966–1967 during the Vietnam War and it was used by the South Vietnamese Air Force (SVNAF) and the USAF during the Vietnam War in the II Corps Tactical Zone of South Vietnam. Phu Cat airbase was turned over to the South Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF) in 1972 and It was seized by the Vietnam People's Army in April 1975 and has been in use by the VPAF ever since.
Former USAF use:
37th Tac Ftr Wing 1967-1970
- 416th TFS 1967 - 1969 (F-100D/F)
- Det 1,174th TFS 1968 - 1969 (Iowa ANG) F-100C
- 355th TFS 1968 - 1969 (F-100D/F)
- 612th TFS 1967 - 1969 (F-100D/F)
14th Specops Wing 1967-1970
- 4th Spec Ops Sqn (AC-47 Spooky) 1967- 1969;
- 18th SOS (AC-119K Stinger) 1969 - 1970
- 17th SOS (AC-119G Shadow) 1970.
12th Tac Ftr Wing 1970-1975
- 389th TFS 1970 - 1971 (F-4D)
- 480th TFS 1970 - 1971 (F-4D)
YouTube footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH7AQJFGmsQ
Search for Phu Cat