Country: United States Region: Georgia
Latitude: 30° 47' 3" N Longitude: -82° 27' 35" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrse/installations/navsubbase_kings_bay.html
Main base for Trident ballistic missile nuclear submarines for the Altlantic fleet. Completed 1958. Main upgrade in 1975. After change of the US naval basing agreement with Spain Submarine Sqn 16 was withdrawn from its base at Rota, Spain. In anticipation a new refit site on the east coast -Kings Bay- was chosen as the site for the new Ohio-class Trident submarines. After Congressional approval the largest peacetime construction program ever undertaken by the USN started. The building project included construction of 3 major facilities:
- the Trident Training Facility (TTF), providing basic, advanced, functional, refresher and team training to Trident submarine crew members
- the Trident Refit Facility (TRF) providing industrial-level and log support for overhaul, modernization and repair of Trident submarines.
- the above ground Strategic Weapons Facility, Atlantic (SWFLANT) at grid 30°47'0"N 81°32'17"W
The base is homeport for these units:
- Submarine Grp 10 the local coordinating authority
- Sub Sq 16 provides support for the Ohio-class SSGN submarines
- Sub Sq 20 provides the same support as Sub Sqn 16, except that it is responsible for Ohio-class SSBN and the strategic deterrence missions
- Naval Sub Suppt Center is responsible for material, personnel, training and log support of assigned and visiting submarines.
- Strategic Weapons Facility Atlantic is responsible for nuc warhead storage (appx 150), assembly of D-5 missiles and processing missile guidance and launcher subsystem components.
- Marine Corps Security Force Battalion Kings Bay secures strategic assets within the Strategic Weapons Facility Atlantic area of responsibility in order to prevent unauthorized access or loss of control. The battalion is prepared to conduct recapture or recovery operations in order to regain control of compromised strategic assets
Search for 00. NAV / Submarinebase Kings Bay ☢