Country: United States Region: Kentucky
Locale: SE of Richmond
Latitude: 37° 42' 57" N Longitude: -85° 47' 12" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
37°43'17"N 84°12'25"W Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) http://www.cma.army.mil/bluegrass/
Established in 1941. Started ops in 1942 as an ammunition and general supply storage depot, the Blue Grass Ordnance Depot. In 1964,merged with the Lexington Signal Depot, Avon, Kentucky, becoming Lexington-Blue Grass Army Depot. The Lexington facility closed in 1999, the remaining facility received its current designation.
Located near Richmond, Ky., BGAD is a subordinate installation of the Joint Munitions Command. It is one oft wo remaining Army installations in the US currently storing chemical weapons of mass destruction (WMD's). The depot’s capabilities include: industrial services support; ammunition maintenance, renovation, disassembly and demilitarization; thermal arc coating for USAF bombs; water washout facility with flaker belt; Molten Salt Research and Development Facility; ultrasonic testing for mortar ammunition; Chemical Material Surveillance Program; quality assurance and joint logistics support; and ammunition life cycle management.
BGAD is now primarily involved with industrial and related activities associated with storage / maintenance of conventional and chemical munitions and still has an active nervegas stockpile. The Blue Grass WMD stockpile is expected to be destroyed in the future but an actual date has never been mentioned.
Search for 3. ARMY / JMC / Blue Grass Army Depot