Country: United States Region: Florida
Latitude: 30° 29' 0" N Longitude: -87° 25' 44" E
Area use / Military Branches: ACTIVE
30°28'42"N 86°32'20"W Eglin airbase Foridla http://www.eglin.af.mil/ was activated in the 1940's as an Army Airforce Gunnery School. Became a testing facility in the 1950's and the USAF Tactical Air Warfare Center in the 1960's. In the 1970's it became the US Vietnamese Refugee Processing Center operated by the Interagency Task Force for Indochina Refugees, where base personnel housed and processed more than 10,000 Southeast Asian refugees. Currently the base is a testfacility for air-delivered weapons, navigation and guidance systems, Command and Control systems, and Air Force Special Operations Command systems. The base is under Air Force Materiel Command with a variety of units based.
- 96 Test Wing is the host wing and the test and evaluation center for air-delivered weapons, navigation and guidance systems, Command & Control and AFSOC systems with -- 96 operations, mission support, civil engineers and range groups.
- 53 Wing serving as the focal point for the Combat Air Forces in electronic warfare, armament and avionics, chemical defense, reconnaissance and aircrew training devices. The wing is responsible for operational testing and evaluation of new equipment and systems
- 33 Fighter Wing is the graduate flying and maintenance training wing for the F-35 Lightning II,and under 19th Air Force, AETC with:
-- 33 Operations and Maintenance Groups and 5 squadrons and the
-- F-35 Academic Training Center managing the training systems, support centers, classrooms, simulators and ground training devices to support the F-35 pilot, intelligence and maintenance training for the USAF, MC, NAV and foreign nations.
- AFRC / 919 Special Operations Wing is the only specops wing in the Air Force Reserve. 919 SOW is located at Duke Field.
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Ammunitions Directorate, developing conventional munitions technologies
- Armament Directorate, designing, developing and producing a family of air-ground and air-air munitions
- Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal (NAVSCOLEOD). This is a Navy-managed command, jointly staffed by ARMY, NAV, USAF and MC personnel.
- 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). Organizes, equips, trains, validates and prepare forces for deployment to conduct worldwide specops. Its AOR comprises LatinAmerica south of Mexico; the waters adjacent to Central and South America; the Caribbean Sea, its 13 island nations, European and US territories; the Gulf of Mexico; and a portion of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Joint Deployable Analysis Team.
- Army 6th Ranger Training Battalion. The 6th RTB conducts the final phase of the US Army Ranger Course
Please insert the security code.
Search for 2. AIR / AFMC / Eglin airbase