RAF Leconfield a former Royal Air Force airbase activated 1936 and a bomber base in WW2.
In the 1950's a 'dispersal base' for the RAF V-bomber force and also home of the Central Gunnery School later transformed into the Fighter Weapons School.
The aircraft then flown were mainly single-seat Venoms and Meteors, plus twin-seat Vampire T11, Meteor trainers and Hawker Hunters for trials with Aden cannons in 1957. Bristol Sycamore helicopters of No. 275 Squadron RAF arrived in 1957. In the 1960s Leconfield became home of 19 and 92 Sqn with Lightning F.2s, before their move to RAF GŁtersloh in W-Germany. It then became home to 60MU and also 202 'D' Flight with Wessex Whirlwind helicopters. 60MU was responsible for the major servicing of the EE/BAC Lightnings,
Currently Leconfield is renamed Normandy.Barracks and used by the Defence School of Transport http://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/our-schools-and-colleges/transport/
Search for 2.Army-Leconfield